Friday, April 20, 2012

Project update

For my final project, I'm going to investigate the imagery of ghosts in Japanese horror films. I'd like to explore the different representations of female ghosts/spirits.  I think I'm going to focus on  modern Japanese horror film, Ringu, and the American remake The Ring. Ringue implements foundational references to earlier films, which I would also like to look into deeper.
Here are some sources:
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=yOjLtfSsetMC&oi=fnd&pg=PR5&dq=visuals+Japanese+horror+film&ots=WXvPnsXcle&sig=4NE5j8EEiu5KTdhahA19DdnHWaI#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://scholar.googleusercontent.com/scholar?q=cache:aMIyMBcafvQJ:scholar.google.com/+ghost+visuals+Japanese+film&hl=en&as_sdt=0,39

http://iipc.utu.fi/imaginaryjapan/Hansen.pdf

http://ue.ucdavis.edu/explorations/2006/sumpter.pdf

Article by Bliss Cua Lim: Spectral TImes: The Ghost Film as Historical Allegory

2 comments:

  1. Lee-san,
    Just realized that I hadn't commented on your update. Gomen, ne?
    If you're going to have a comparative component to your report, it would be interesting to see if you can find anything distinctive in J-Horror films. Of course, the term applies to a wide range of movies, but what interests me is that the most famous one, Ringu, could be called a supernatural tale as much as a "horror" tale. This seems to tie in with the Japanese tradition of the supernatural beings called "yokai." There is a book on J-Horror and there are many articles about Ringu and The Ring, some of which you have already found, I'm sure. Focusing on the two films is fine, although I would like you to have some contextual information regarding Ringu. There is a lot of room for visual analysis of both films, and of course, there is the fact that both films center around a visual medium, a video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I think this is such a cool topic! And really different from a lot of the others because it looks at a darker side of Japanese visuals. I really enjoy horror movies, and I love the Ring but have never seen Ringu. I was wondering/hoping you look into Japanese horror films and their influence on Western horror movies, because movies like the Ring and the Grudge all came out as remakes of those Japanese films, I'm so curious as to what it is about the horror films of Japan that are causing other countries to try to bring the same feeling and effects into their own movies!

    ReplyDelete